Much of the research being done over the last several years has revealed a difficult reality that is facing the students that attend our churches once they graduate from high school. We now know that within 18 months of graduation, 1 of every 2 of the students who attend your church will be struggling with their faith and struggling to connect with a faith community. The Transitions program was developed to help equip local churches be more effective in empowering their students to thrive. This programs works by working on a few key components:
- We too often tell students what they should expect when they transition into college, the military or the work place. This program is built up the premise that we need to do less telling and do a better job of helping students see that they have more within them than they realize.
- Through experiential learning models and by connecting with a mentor students can develop a deeper sense of inner authority that will allow them to conquer the challenges that are before them.
- We feel the solution has more to do with applying kingdom principles, congregational support and empowerment than simply giving students more information.
- During the transition period most parents take a more active role in the lives of their teens because of the weight of the decisions that are before their family.
- This program gives churches a chance to be a resource to the family during this important phase in their life. By connecting them with resources and other parents who have already transitioned one of their children, parents will feel more engaged in the faith development of their young adults.
- We think what is before you is more of a conversation about creating a new culture within local congregations than a curriculum. That is why the program is not in print, but online so it can be continually updated as we get feedback from our network of users.
- When you become a part of Think Transitions you get more than just a curriculum, but you also gain access to all of the training you will need to fully implement this program in your local context. We don't just want you to use our thoughts, but we want you to join a national conversation.
- This isn't a youth ministry program, but a program aimed at helping a congregation feel a deeper connection to the students that they are launching out as light into the world. Research is showing us that students who transition effectively are those who are a part of the whole church and connected to intergenerational relationships.
- Through the database our members gain access too they are also able to make a better hand off to ministries that are committed to help receive their students and continue to help them develop into the person God has created them to be.